Tuesday, June 24, 2008

My Industry Sucks

I just spent two hours at a Java User Group function, learning how they've developed this new technology that will allow an idiot off the street to develop a fully functioning web site in 20 minutes. This is not going to help me get a job. I don't need to know that the skills I've spent twenty years trying to develop, some schmuck off the street is going to be able to do with no experience whatsoever. And if you're not using that technology, then there's this laundry list of technologies you're going to need not just to understand, but to have 2 or more years of development experience with.

I could learn any language they throw at me with no problem. I've done it before. But don't expect me to learn seven languages, and also 10 applications that'll cost me $600 or more apiece just to learn them, especially since I'd be competing against people who actually have application development experience because they were working for companies on the cutting edge when I got jobs elsewhere.

That two years of experience means nothing. Really, trust me on this. You can learn a new programming language in a week, including Java. What matters and takes skill and what some people will never develop is the ability to analyze a problem, to develop a design, to work with a customer to reach a desired goal. But those things aren't measurable. So instead, we get laundry lists of languages and you can't tell the HR rep, "Oh, you don't really need that. You just think you do."

No comments: